At key stage 3 science is taught using modules based on the National Curriculum and QCA schemes of work.
Each year covers specific topics which encompass the whole of the key stage 3 national curriculum and prepares students for further study at key stage 4.
The schemes of work have been specifically designed with SEMH students in mind, with engaging activities and practical demonstrations to inspire and instil our students with a passion for science.
Learning is assessed at the end of the topic and in three ways;
- Literacy assessment- students are given a selection of extended answer and open-ended questions to improve their literacy skills within science
- Practical assessment- students are given a practical investigation to plan and carry out and are assessed on planning, practical, analysis, conclusion and evaluation
- Traditional test- students are given a traditional “question and answer” test paper to complete under exam conditions allowing them to build their exam skills in preparation for key stage 4
In key stage 4 we currently offer 3 bespoke science courses:
- AQA Synergy (2 x GCSEs)
- OCR Cambridge National Sport Science (1 x GCSE equivalent)
- BTEC Animal Care (1 x GCSE equivalent)
The particular course that a pupil will take will depend on their interests, pathway, future destination plans and grade in the Synergy entrance exam. See the pages to the right for more details.
The Science Long-Term Plans are attached below:
For further information, please contact Carly at firstname.lastname@example.org